Over the past weeks, Room 13 have been learning about different traditions and legends associated with Christmas around the world. We’ve looked at how different countries and different faiths celebrate Christmas. One tradition we learned about, which originated in Germany, was Christingle.
Here’s what we learned about what the different parts of Christingle represent:
- The orange is round like the world.
- The candle symbolises the light of God.
- The red ribbon goes all around the ‘world’ and is a symbol of Jesus’ love.
- The four sticks point in all directions and symbolise North, South, East and West – they also represent the four seasons.
- The sweets represent the creatures, animals and creations here on earth.