Room 5 are learning all about Mexico. We made Ojo de Dios weaving craft.
In Mexico one is started to celebrate the birth of a new baby and more weaving is added every year until they are 5 years old.
Ours turned out so well!
Room 1 had a hot chocolate party today to celebrate how hard we have worked this term!
Biscuit decorating to get in the Christmas spirit today 🎄🎄🎄
We were busy using our spelling skills in Room 5 today playing Bananagrams!
This month we learned about the artist Georges Seurat who created pointillism. Pointillism is a type of painting that is done by using dots of colour instead of brush strokes. These little dots then come together to form pictures. When you are far away from the picture you might not see the dots, but as you get closer you see the dots more clearly. We took inspiration from him to create Christmas trees.
Pointers on Pointillism:
- First take an A4 page, some paint and some cotton buds (in America they call them Q-tips)
- Then, sketch a drawing using a pencil – it should be a simple drawing.
- Next, dip your cotton bud into your paint.
- Then, dot your paint onto your drawing. Build up colour in different areas.
- Finally, your picture will be complete.
Last week in Room 13 we looked at fractions. We had different stations during our maths lessons and at each station we had challenges to complete. Our favourite item to make fractions from were pizza’s!
Over the past weeks, Room 13 have been learning about different traditions and legends associated with Christmas around the world. We’ve looked at how different countries and different faiths celebrate Christmas. One tradition we learned about, which originated in Germany, was Christingle.
Here’s what we learned about what the different parts of Christingle represent:
- The orange is round like the world.
- The candle symbolises the light of God.
- The red ribbon goes all around the ‘world’ and is a symbol of Jesus’ love.
- The four sticks point in all directions and symbolise North, South, East and West – they also represent the four seasons.
- The sweets represent the creatures, animals and creations here on earth.
Room 13 went to Santa’s Grotto today to show off the Christmas Crowns they worked so hard on!
We all had such fun and got to ask Santa some interesting questions! Thank you to the St. Louis PA for organising it.